Website Church of the Ascension
Church of the Ascension
Church of the Ascension is a mission church in the Anglican Diocese of the Great Lakes. Ascension began meeting on the Feast of the Ascension, 2017. We have grown from three founding families to an average weekly attendance of 45 – 50 people. Our congregation is generationally diverse, with a significant number of families with young children as well as a number of college students who attend during the academic year. Ascension is located two blocks from Indiana Wesleyan University and 20 minutes from Taylor University. Fostering relationships with students and faculty from both campuses has been a source of enrichment to our congregation. Marion is conveniently located within easy driving distance of the larger metro centers of Indianapolis, Ft. Wayne and Muncie. Marion, like many smaller midwestern cities, has suffered economic setbacks over recent decades. Since the church’s location is in an impoverished section of Marion, we seek opportunities to extend the love of Christ to our immediate neighbors affected by these setbacks.
Nourished in word and sacrament on Sunday mornings, it is our desire to be the leaven of Christ to those around us. Most in our community are not cradle Anglicans, but they have grown to deeply appreciate the liturgy, the church calendar, and our Anglo-Catholic style of worship. We are a group of people who desire to share life together as the Body of Christ, as evident by our extended coffee hour, commitment to small groups, and other times of fellowship and common prayer. It is the mission of the Church of the Ascension to be centered in the eucharist, formed by the liturgy, intentional about growth in the Spirit, and known for the hospitality we extend to each other and to those beyond our doors.
Rector Job Description
Church of the Ascension is searching for a rector who is, before all things, a man of prayer and a student of scripture. We are looking for someone whose life in word and action bear witness to the love of Christ. We desire a rector who will protect the identity we’ve established and encourage us to build upon this identity as we trust in the Triune God. In short, we are looking for someone who is committed to Jesus and who has a heart for others.
We desire a Rector who…
- Possesses a Masters of Divinity or similar degree.
- Is ordained in the Anglican Church of North America.
- Holds a biblical, orthodox confession of faith.
- Has experience as an associate or lead pastor.
- Has excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
- Is committed to the Anglo-Catholic tradition.
- Is able to connect with and minister to members of all ages and educational levels.
Duties of the Rector:
Our Rector will…
- Consistently present the Gospel of Christ in both word and example.
- Coordinate and oversee all worship services at Church of the Ascension.
- Train and/or coordinate all worship participants, including lectors, acolytes, chalice bearers, musicians, and all others.
- Encourage, comfort, mentor, and admonish the members of Ascension through sermons, teachings, small groups, church-wide written communication, and by engaging individuals
- Encourage the regular practice of prayer as framed by the Daily Office.
- Develop other church-wide worship and service opportunities and train the laity to help lead these developments.
- Oversee Christian education in the parish, both for children and adults.
- Conduct instruction for Baptism, Confirmation, and Reception into the church.
- Love and care for our congregation in all the joys and challenges of life, especially in relation to birth, marriage, sickness, grief, and death.
- Model and encourage care for the needs of marginalized and spiritually lost through service and outreach locally and abroad.
- Partner with the Mission Council in its administration of, and care for, the church.
- Lead an annual business and development meeting for the church.
- Lead the congregation through the transition from a mission church to a parish.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to spiritual renewal and professional growth.
- Complete an annual professional review with leaders in the church, or diocese in accordance with the bylaws of the church.
- Model appropriate self-care by managing time, commitments, and rest appropriately.
Church of the Ascension has an annual budget of around $60,000. About 3/5ths of this is dedicated to compensation for our rector. As we continue to grow we will be eager to offer full-time compensation.
Applicants, please respond with a letter of introduction and interest, a current resume, three references (one personal and two employment-related), and a recording of a recent sermon to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com